Driver's License and Driving Record
Employees whose work requires operation of a motor vehicle must present and maintain a valid driver's license and a driving record acceptable to our insurer. You may be asked to submit a copy of your driving record to Kenyon College from time to time. Any changes in your driving record must be reported to your supervisor and the Office of Human Resources immediately. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action, including possible dismissal. If driving a College vehicle you must be a "certified" driver.
Note: See "Use of Company Vehicle" in the "Other Policies" section of this Manual for further information.
Driver Certification and Training Policy
Only certified employees and students are permitted to drive College vehicles. To be certified as a driver one must:
1. Be at least 18 years of age to drive a College car or minivan; be at least 21 years of age to drive a fifteen-passenger van.
2. Possess a valid driver's license.
3. Have fewer than six traffic violation demerit points under state of Ohio rules.
4. Have no chargeable accidents within the last 24 months.
5. Have no convictions on record for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or other major traffic violations such as reckless operation, hit/skip, driving under suspension, or fleeing from a police officer.
6. Attend a defensive driving class sponsored by the College and pass an exam. In order to drive a fifteen-passenger van, also successfully complete an on-the-road training program.
Potential drivers are asked to fill out the application form (which can be obtained at the Office of Campus Safety) and submit a copy of their driver's license. Campus Safety will run an initial check of the motor vehicle record for each applicant and our insurance carrier will carry out random checks on the driving records of all certified drivers. The College reserves the right to rescind the driving privileges of any applicant making false statements on the application form.
Applicants should contact the Office of Campus Safety to find out when the defensive driving class will be offered and to arrange for on-the-road training for fifteen-passenger vans.