Government Required Coverage

Jump to:

Workers' Compensation

The State of Ohio Workers' Compensation Law is an insurance plan which is supervised by the state and one hundred percent (100%) paid for by Kenyon College as a self-funded employer. This law was designed to provide you with benefits for any injury which you may suffer in connection with your employment. Under the provisions of the law, if you are injured while at work, you are eligible to apply for Workers' Compensation.

Back to Top

What Is Workers' Compensation?

Before Workers' Compensation, an injured worker had to sue his employer to recover medical costs and lost wages. Lawsuits took months and sometimes years. Juries and judges had to decide who was at fault and how much, if anything, would be paid. In most cases, the injured worker got nothing. It was a costly, time-consuming and unfair system. Ohio's Workers' Compensation law was passed by the State legislature in the early part of this century to guarantee prompt, automatic benefits to workers injured on the job.

Effective March 1, 1997, the medical management responsibilities of the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation (BWC) changed to private sector run Managed Care Organizations (MCO's). This change was mandated for all Ohio employers with the enactment of House bill 107. Kenyon College uses third-party administrator Sedgwick, Inc. to provide medical management services to our injured workers.

Back to Top

Who Is Covered?

Every Kenyon College employee is protected by Workers' Compensation.

Back to Top

What Is Covered?

Any injury is covered if it's caused by your job - not just serious accidents, but even first-aid type injuries. Illnesses may also be covered, if they're related to your job. For example, common colds and flu are not covered, but if you caught tuberculosis while working at a TB hospital, that's covered. The main requirement is that the injury or illness be the result of you performing your job.

Back to Top

When Am I Covered?

Coverage begins the first minute you're on the job and continues anytime you're working for Kenyon College. You don't have to work a certain length of time, and there's no need to earn any minimum amount of wages before you're protected.

Back to Top

What to do if You Experience an on the Job Injury or Illness

If you become injured or sick on the job, we want to help you get well and get back to work. A work-related injury or illness can upset your life. You may be confused about how and where to get the attention you need to get back on your feet. To help you through this difficult time, your employer has formed a team to assist you in your recovery. The team includes:

  • Your employer's workers' compensation representative - a person you can turn to for advice on how to get started.
  • Hunter Consulting - known for its understanding of work-related injuries and illnesses and its rapid response to injured employees' needs.

                                   Hunter Consulting Company                 Attn: Penny Lammers

                                   6600 Clough Pike, FL 2                           Cincinnati, OH 45244 

                                   Phone (513) 372-8703                             Email:

  • An experienced provider network -physicians, therapists, and other health professionals specially qualified to treat your work-related injury or illnesses.

Hunter Consulting is ready to help you, the most important member of the team, get well so you can get back to work. We will stand by you throughout the entire workers' compensation process, helping make sure you have access to the quality care you deserve. When you become sick or injured on the job, Hunter Consulting is ready to assist you in getting the care you need.

Follow these five steps to help ensure you get the treatment and benefits due you.

  1. Report the Injury Immediately

Unless it is a life-threatening emergency, report your injury, accident, or illness to your supervisor or Kenyon College representative before you leave work. Failure to report an injury may cause delay in getting benefits due to you.

  1. Get your Forms -Injury Reporting Kit

This packet contains your necessary forms, which include an Initial Report Form, First Report of Injury and a Medical Release. Complete the forms with your supervisor or Kenyon Representative. They will need these in order to report your injury.

  1. Seek Medical Treatment

Your visit to the provider should take place as soon as possible after your injury. At your visit, have the treating physician complete the Physician’s Report of Work Ability form and sign the First Report of Injury form. We ask that you seek medical attention from the Medical Group listed below.  You may seek treatment from any provider; however, the provider must be BW certified.         

                      (Non-Emergency)                                                        (Emergency) 

Name:                   Mid- Ohio Corporate Care                    Name:                     Knox Community Hospital

Address:               1490 Coshocton Road                            Address:                 1330 Coshocton Road

City, State, Zip:   Mt Vernon, OH 43050                           City, State, Zip:      Mt Vernon, OH 43050

Phone:                   (740) 393-9675                                       Phone:                      (740) 393-9000 

Hours:                   M - F   7:00 am – 5:00 pm                     Hours:                       24 Hours

  1. Return your Forms to your Supervisor and your Workers’ Compensation Representative in Human Resources

Return all completed forms and medical documentation to your supervisor and your workers’ compensation representative in Human Resources immediately.

  1. Let Your Employer Know

After each appointment, let your Kenyon College representative know that you have seen your medical provider. In addition, Hunter Consulting will assist to manage your care, help arrange your return to work, and keep your employer updated on your condition.

Back to Top

Unemployment Compensation

If you become unemployed, you may be eligible for unemployment compensation, under certain conditions, for a limited period of time. Unemployment compensation provides temporary income for workers who have lost their jobs. To be eligible you must have earned a certain amount and be willing and able to work. You should apply for benefits through your local State Unemployment Office as soon as possible.

Kenyon College pays the entire cost of this insurance.

Back to Top

FICA (Federal Insurance Contributions Act)

The United States Government operates a system of contributory insurance known as FICA (Federal Insurance Contributions Act) which has two parts: Social Security and Medicare. As a wage earner, you are required by law to contribute a set amount of your wages to the trust fund from which these benefits are paid. As your employer, Kenyon College is required to deduct this amount (set annually by the US Government) from each paycheck you receive. In addition, Kenyon matches your contribution dollar for dollar, thereby paying one-half of the cost of your Social Security and Medicare benefits.

Back to Top