Hiring of Minors

Recognizing the fact that students often make good employees, our State encourages employers to consider their potential in business and industry. Because of our Legislators' concern for our minor workers, they have enacted very rigorous hazardous occupation laws for their protection as well as for the protection of their employers.

Minors 14 years of age and older may be employed while still in school. Hour restrictions are imposed on 14 and 15 year old students as follows:

  1. No person under sixteen years of age shall be employed during school hours except where specifically permitted by Chapter 4109 of the Revised Code;
  2. Before seven a.m. or after nine p.m. from the first day of June to the first day of September or during any school holiday of five school days or more duration; or after seven p.m. at any other time;
  3. For more than three hours a day in any school day;
  4. For more than eighteen hours in any week while school is in session;
  5. For more than eight hours in any day which is not a school day;
  6. For more than forty hours in any week that school is not in session.

Students 16 and 17 years of age may work unlimited hours. Employers of students 14 and 15 years of age must secure Work Permits from the student employee and must also complete, in duplicate, a Minor Agreement for each minor employed with one copy being given to the minor while the other is maintained in the employer's file.

Students 16 and 17 years of age, if not engaged in a bona-fide vocational program, must also have Work Permits and Minor Agreements. If the student is in a bona-fide vocational program, then a Training Agreement and Training Plan, prepared by the Vocational Instructor and properly completed by the student and employer, will take the place of the Work Permit and Minor Agreement.

Minors 16 and 17 years of age, are not required to provide a Work Permit after the last day of the school term in the Spring and before the first day of the school term in the Fall. (In non-hazardous employment). The minor shall provide the employer with the following:

  1. Evidence of proof of age;
  2. Statement signed by the minor's parent or guardian consenting to the proposed employment.