5.1. Compensation

Jump to:

The United States Government operates a system of contributory insurance known as FICA (Federal Insurance Contributions Act) which has two parts: Social Security and Medicare. As a wage earner, you are required by law to contribute a set amount of your wages to the trust fund from which these benefits are paid. As your employer, Kenyon College is required to deduct this amount (set annually by the U.S. Government) from each paycheck you receive. In addition, Kenyon matches your contribution dollar for dollar, thereby paying one-half of the cost of your Social Security and Medicare benefits.

Revised July 1998

The State of Ohio Workers' Compensation Law is an insurance plan which is supervised by the state and one hundred percent (100%) paid for by Kenyon College as a self-funded employer. This law was designed to provide you with benefits for any injury which you may suffer in connection with your employment. Under the provisions of the law, if you are injured while at work, you are eligible to apply for Workers' Compensation.

What is Workers' Compensation?

Before Workers' Compensation, an injured worker had to sue his employer to recover medical costs and lost wages. Lawsuits took months and sometimes years. Juries and judges had to decide who was at fault and how much, if anything, would be paid. In most cases, the injured worker got nothing. It was a costly, time-consuming and unfair system. Ohio's Workers' Compensation law was passed by the State legislature in the early part of this century to guarantee prompt, automatic benefits to workers injured on the job.

Effective March 1, 1997, the medical management responsibilities of the Ohio Bureau of Workers' Compensation (BWC) changed to private sector run Managed Care Organizations (MCO's). This change was mandated for all Ohio employers with the enactment of House bill 107. Kenyon College uses third-party administrator Sedgwick, Inc. to provide medical management services to our injured workers.

Who is Covered?

Every Kenyon College employee is protected by Workers' Compensation.

What is Covered?

Any injury is covered if it's caused by your job — not just serious accidents, but even first-aid type injuries. Illnesses may also be covered, if they're related to your job. For example, common colds and flu are not covered, but if you caught tuberculosis while working at a TB hospital, that's covered. The main requirement is that the injury or illness be the result of you performing your job.

When Am I Covered?

Coverage begins the first minute you're on the job and continues anytime you're working for Kenyon College. You don't have to work a certain length of time, and there's no need to earn any minimum amount of wages before you're protected.

What to do if You Experience an on the Job Injury or Illness.

A work-related injury or illness can upset your life. Suddenly, you may find your health, your work and your enjoyment of leisure activities threatened. You may be confused about how and where to get the attention you need to get back on your feet. You may be concerned about the hassles and red tape you have to go through. Relax. To help you through this difficult time, your employer has formed a team to assist you in your recovery. The team includes:

  • Your employer's workers' compensation representative — a person you can turn to for advice on how to get started.
  • Sedgwick — known for its understanding of work related injuries and illnesses and its rapid response to injured employees' needs.
  • An experienced provider network — physicians, therapists and other health professionals specially qualified to treat your work-related injury or illnesses.

Sedgwick is ready to help you, the most important member of the team, get well so you can get back to work. We'll stand by you throughout the entire workers' compensation process, helping make sure you have access to the quality care you deserve. When you become sick or injured on the job, Sedgwick is ready to assist you in getting the care you need.

Follow these five steps to help ensure you get the treatment and benefits due you.

  1. Report the Injury Immediately
    Unless it's a life-threatening emergency, report your injury, accident, or illness to your supervisor or company representative before you leave work. Failure to report an injury may cause delay in getting benefits due to you.
  2. Get your ID Card and Forms (Download the Injury Reporting Kit)
    This packet contains your ID card and necessary forms, which include an Incident Form, First Report of Injury and a Medical Release. Complete the forms with your supervisor or company representative. They will need these in order to report your injury. Take your ID card to the medical provider. Be sure to use the ID card each time you visit your medical provider. 
  3. Seek Medical Treatment
    Your supervisor or company representative will help you select a medical treatment site. Your visit to the provider should take place as soon as possible after your injury. When you go for your first visit, take your ID card (included in this packet). Remember to take your ID card to all subsequent visits with the provider
  4. Let Your Employer Know
    After each appointment, let your company representative know you've seen your medical provider. In addition, Sedgwick will assist to manage your care, help arrange your return to work, and keep your employer updated on your condition.
  5. Evaluate your Treatment Provider
    We hope you will be pleased with the provider you choose. However, if for any reason you wish to see a different provider or treatment facility, contact Sedgwick. We will do our best to work with you to find a new provider or treatment center.

Revised July 1998, April 2013

Back to Top