Do you have questions about trans issues at Kenyon? Are you in need of support as a transgender, non-binary and/or gender non-conforming student? Do you just need someone to talk to?

Below, you can explore resources available at Kenyon, including peer support groups, advisory committees, healthcare resources, information about Title IX, bathroom and housing guidance, steps on how to change your name, funding opportunities and much more.

Timothy R. Bussey (they/them), ODEI associate director. Get in touch at or 740-427-5745.

Gender Group: This is a student-run organization for transgender, non-binary, and/or questioning students. Emails from Gender Group will appear in your inbox labeled as "Kenyon Group" for the privacy and safety of group members. Meeting times and locations for Gender Group are private. Get in touch at

Office for Civil Rights: This office monitors and coordinates compliance with nondiscrimination laws and investigates complaints alleging discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical and/or mental disability, age, religion, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy or state, local or federal law. Get in touch at

Trans Subcommittee of the LGBTQ+ Advisory Committee: This is a subcommittee of the college’s LGBTQ+ Advisory Committee, and it focuses solely on the needs of transgender, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people across the campus community. Get in touch at LINK TO NEW LGBTQ+ Advisory Committee PAGE HERE.

Unity House: This program house is located behind Farr Hall across from Snowden Multicultural Center. The student managers are Micah Smith (they/them) and Rory Dryfus (he/him). Get in touch at

The non-discrimination statement at Kenyon is fully LGBTQ+ inclusive, and the College's Discrimination and Discriminatory Harassment Policy prohibits discrimination on sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression and sexual orientation, in addition to other categories. For more information on the non-discrimination statement, please contact the Office for Civil Rights.

The Office for Civil Rights at Kenyon

The Office for Civil Rights at Kenyon is also available for students to report incidences of Title IX violations. Feel free to contact Kevin Peterson (Interim Civil Rights/Title IX Coordinator) or any other Office for Civil Rights staff members for further information.

The Kenyon College Cox Health & Counseling Center

The Kenyon College Health Center and the Kenyon College Counseling Center are both available on campus to assist trans and gender non-conforming students with their healthcare needs. We encourage students to come speak with our clinically trained staff who will provide detailed health information, assistance with medication administration, and laboratory testing. After meeting with our staff, a list of Ohio healthcare resources can be provided.

Health Services: 740-427-5525 | Open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. (Closed 12-1 p.m. for lunch)

Counseling Services: 740-427-5643 | Open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m to 4:30 p.m. (Closed 12-1 p.m. for lunch)

Hormone Replacement Therapy for Kenyon Students

Kenyon’s student health insurance plan covers hormone replacement therapy in the form of estradiol valerate, progesterone, spironolactone and testosterone. Under our student health insurance plan, generic versions of these hormones are Tier I drugs, meaning that they are available for a cost as low as $10/month per prescription.

While hormone replacement therapy is not yet prescribed at our campus health clinic, the Cox Health and Counseling Center can perform related endocrine tests. Your primary care medical provider and/or endocrinologist can easily order these tests for you by sending the order form to Cox Health and Counseling Center via their fax number at 740-427-5527. Once the tests are complete, the staff at the on-campus clinic can fax them to your primary care medical provider and/or endocrinologist.

In short, Kenyon is equipped to ensure that your transition-related healthcare options can be supported during your time on campus. If you need help finding a medical provider, you can either contact Equitas Health in Columbus or stop by the Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to discuss how to access resources available in the area. If you have more questions about access to transgender healthcare at Kenyon, contact ODEI Associate Director Timothy Bussey at

Off-Campus Services

While the Cox Health and Counseling Center is equipped to perform related endocrine tests associated with a medical transition, some Kenyon students may be interested in off-campus services, and some students may also need a provider who can prescribe hormone replacement therapy or provide other aspects of transition-related care. 

Currently, there are a number of providers with strong relationships with the Kenyon campus community, and many members of the Kenyon community seek transition-related care through Equitas Health in Columbus or the OSU Wexner Medical Center’s Transgender Primary Care Clinic.

In addition to the regularly trained, trans-inclusive staff at the Cox Health and Counseling Center and a variety of on-campus mental health resources, there are also a variety of off-campus and community mental health resources that may be of interest to Kenyon’s transgender and non-binary community. Some of these resources have been listed below, and for additional resources to support your mental health and wellbeing, please feel free to reach out to the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.

Equitas Health: The state’s leading LGBTQ+ healthcare provider, Equitas Health, provides both physical and mental healthcare at their locations across the state of Ohio. The closest locations for mental healthcare services are the Equitas Health locations in Newark, Ohio and Columbus, Ohio. For more information about this resource, visit the Equitas Health webpage

In Transition Support Group with Equitas Health: Equitas Health regularly hosts a support group for transgender and non-binary people who are medically/socially transitioning or considering transitioning. For more information about this resource, visit the Equitas Health webpage

Peer Support Groups with OCTOPUS: The Ohio-based transgender resource group, OCTOPUS, regularly hosts peer support groups for transgender and non-binary people throughout the area. Current groups include a general group, a non-binary specific group, and a POC specific group. For more information about this resource, reach out to Kimberly Sue Griffiths (she/her) with OCTOPUS via email at  

Trans LifeLine: Trans LifeLine, the nation’s first and only trans-operated hotline service, is a crisis and support hotline for transgender, non-binary, and/or questioning people. Their service supports people ranging from those who simply need to talk to an affirming person to those in immediate crisis. There is also a new Spanish-speaking extension for this service. For more information about this resource, visit the Trans LifeLine webpage.

The Trevor Project: The Trevor Project is the nation’s longest operating support hotline for LGBTQ+ youth and young adults. Their services can be accessed through a variety of methods including the phone, web chat, and text messaging. For more information about this resource, visit The Trevor Project website.

BIPOC Resources: In coordination with the ODEI, the Cox Health and Counseling Center has also compiled a list of regional and national resources for BIPOC students and community members. You can review these resources via the Cox Health and Counseling Center webpage.

Some, though certainly not all, trans and non-binary people may be interested in binding, tucking and/or vocalization, but it’s important to make sure to do so safely. In an effort to help make this information more accessible, you can explore information about how to more safely bind, tuck and vocalize via the information below.

Safer Binding: There are multiple ways to bind, but it’s important to make sure that you’re binding safely. For more information on how to bind more safely, refer to the “Safer Binding” guide from the Callen-Lorde Community Health Center.

Safer Tucking: There are also multiple ways to tuck, but it’s still important to make sure that you’re tucking safely. For more information on how to tuck more safely, refer to the “Safer Tucking” guide from the Callen-Lorde Community Health Center.

Safer Vocalizing: There are also multiple ways to explore vocalization, and to help maintain a healthy voice, it’s important to make sure that you’re exploring vocalization safely. For more information on how to vocalize more safely, refer to the “Finding Your Voice” guide from the Callen-Lorde Community Health Center.

In spring 2018, the Trans Subcommittee of the LGBTQ+ Advisory Committee compiled a list of potential locations for new gender neutral bathrooms on campus. As of fall 2018, all of these locations have been made into gender neutral facilities.

As such, Kenyon College is proud to offer over 70 gender neutral bathrooms across our campus. Per Kenyon’s commitment to Title IX and transgender inclusion, students are also welcome to use any gendered bathroom facility that aligns with their gender identity.

Currently, the Trans Subcommittee is working on an interactive map of the gender neutral facilities across campus, and once COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, work on this project will resume.

Kenyon operates on an open-housing model, which largely allows students to find housing options that meet both their needs and their preferences. However, the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion has recently collaborated with the Office of Residential Life to clarify a formalized process that will further ensure the needs of our transgender and non-binary students are consistently and equitably met in terms of inclusive, comfortable and accessible housing.

Information about gender inclusive housing is currently available through the Office of Residential Life, and information about this newly formalized process is also available (PDF).

The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion also retains a number of funds to support the success and well-being of our students. One of these funds, the Student Support Fund, can help students with financial need access transition related apparel, including but not limited to professional attire, binders and undergarments among other items. This fund can also assist with various fees associated with the name and/or gender marker change process.

For students with financial need, please refer to the Student Support Funds webpage or contact the ODEI for more information about how this fund may be able to meet your needs.

At Kenyon, students can easily enter and regularly update their current name and pronouns on Banner.The information in this system then migrates to a number of places on campus, such as the campus mailroom, class rosters, etc. Currently, students may complete the steps below to update their current name and pronouns.

Additionally, the Office of the Registrar and  ITS have collaborated with the ODEI to ensure that the correct names and pronouns will auto-populate on class rosters once changed in Banner.

You can update this information effective immediately by doing the following:

Step 1: Log into  

Step 2: Click on the "personal information" tab. 

Step 3 Click on the "update personal information" tab. 

Step 4: Click "edit" under the "Personal Details" header. 

Step 5: Enter your information in the appropriate fields Click "update.

Read more about changing your name and pronouns in Banner.

All new email addresses have your last name and a number (ex:, and your name pulled from the Admissions database will also be displayed.

Step 1: Go to your "Settings" by clicking on the cog symbol under your email profile (the small circle where your profile photo would go).

Step 2: Click on the "Accounts" tab, then click "edit info" and type in your name.

Step 3: Change your name in Google by going to your Google Account main page and clicking "Personal Info & Privacy." Click the "Name" section and edit your name.

Step 4: Log out and reload the page, then log in again to check if your name is changed. If not, contact Helpline for further assistance.

The "First Name Label" associated with your email address will be then be changed (to your new name); not your actual email address.

Step 5: If your email address is the older "last name+first initial" format, you can change it to the new "last name+number" format by scheduling an appointment with Jared Hoffman (the associate director for enterprise infrastructure, who will assist with any possible disruption of services.

Names can only be changed on college documents if you have legally changed your name in your residential state (for U.S. citizens). Information about legal names changes and identification documentations is available through the Trans Equality ID Document Center.

Periodically throughout the year, the ODEI will be partnering with Equitas Health and TransOhio to offer a free gender and/or name change clinic on campus. At this free clinic, attorneys will help answer your questions, review any necessary documentation, and complete relevant name/gender change forms with you. Courtesy of TransOhio, scholarships are also available at this clinic, which can fully cover the cost of filing the paperwork with the state of Ohio.

For more information on upcoming gender and/or name change clinics at Kenyon, please contact ODEI Associate Director Timothy Bussey at

To change your name and/or photograph on your K-card free of charge, contact Vice President for Student Affairs, Meredith Haprer Bonham at and visit Allen House once approved. 

To change your name and/or gender marker, bring associated legal documents to the Office of the Registrar.

Students, faculty, and staff can also easily add their pronouns to their name in Google Meet by doing the following:

Step 1: Open the Chrome browser. In the upper-right corner of the browser window, click on the three vertical dots.

Step 2: From the drop-down menu, click on "Settings." This will open a new page.

Step 3: Find "Manage Your Google Account" and select it; again, a new page will appear.

Step 4: On the left menu, click on "Personal Info" and a new page will appear.

Step 5: Click on the "Name" field. You may be prompted for your password. Re-enter it, if so.

Step 6: Change the "First Name" and/or "Last Name" field to what you would like to use. If you are only adding pronouns, add them to the “last name” field.

Step 7: Click the "Save" button at the bottom of the page.

After this, Google Meet will now display your new profile name in meetings and in the name field of your email address for all future meetings and emails.

Students can easily change their name on Moodle, the College's learning management system, by doing the following:

Step 1: Log into your Moodle account and select one of your courses. 

Step 2: In any of your courses, click on the "Participants" tab, then click your name. 

Step 3: Under the "User Details" heading, click the "Edit Profile" button. 

Step 4: Enter the correct first name, and save your changes.

Students can easily and quickly change the name on their P.O. box at the Gambier Post Office. To do so, you simply need to bring your K-Card to any representative at this post office location. After presenting your K-Card with the correct name, give them your P.O. box number and ask them to update the name for their records. This process should be able to be completed within one to two business days.If you encounter any problems with this, please contact the ODEI for assistance in having this information updated.

Timothy Bussey

Associate Director, Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Phone Number
Email Address
012 Gund Commons