The status of guest student is another term for a non-degree seeking student.
Applying For Guest Student Status
- Courses are available to guest students on a space-available basis only; faculty may not accept a guest student into a course where a full-time student has already been turned away.
- There is no application fee for guest students; your costs will be tuition and whatever books and other materials are required for the course itself.
- Guest students must obtain the approval/signature of the instructor before they may be enrolled in the class and may not enroll for courses until the first day of the semester.
- Guest students are held to the same academic rules, regulations and deadlines as full-time students.
- Guest students enjoy the same level of access to library and computing as full-time students.
- Auditing: Instructors decide what constitutes an acceptable level of participation required to receive “audit” credit on your record, if you are auditing the course. Those who attempt to audit a course but who do not meet the instructor’s expectations receive no notations on their record.
- Guest students are not degree seeking candidates although they may hope to be eventually.
Instructions to Apply
- Print or pick up a guest student application from the Registrar’s Office at least three weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Return your guest student application to the Registrar’s Office at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the semester.
- Current high-school students: In addition to the application, fill out the school report form and send it to your high school. Request a copy of your high school transcript.
- Bachelor’s level or beyond: Request a transcript from institutions where you have completed college course work. Send to:
103 College Drive
Chalmers Library, 2nd Floor
Gambier, OH 43022
- Make an appointment for an interview with the registrar to introduce yourself and review your goals and reasons for undertaking guest student status.
- Your application will be reviewed, and you will be notified of the decision within one week. Upon approval of your application, a guest student enrollment form will be sent to you. The earliest a completed guest student enrollment form will be accepted by the Registrar’s Office is the first day of classes.
- Review the schedule of courses on the Registrar’s webpage and select courses you would like to take.
- Approved guest students who are employees and/or their dependents must obtain verification (signature) that they qualify for tuition benefits in the Human Resources Office in Eaton Center on the guest student enrollment form before enrolling each semester they take a course.
- Attending class on the first day of classes. Introduce yourself to the instructor; explain your guest student status and ask permission to join the class. The instructor will need to sign the appropriate line on the guest student enrollment form.
- Return your signed enrollment form to one of the staff members in the Registrar’s Office. You will be given a copy of the form and a student ID number will be assigned to you.
- Your enrollment information will be conveyed to the Accounting Office where your tuition bill we be prepared and emailed to you.
Please feel free to contact the Registrar’s Office at 740-427-5122 if you have any questions.