Move-in day is approaching! Read carefully through the lists below to get a sense of what first-year students typically bring to campus. Not all items are required, and they vary by personal preferences and needs.
Some pieces of furniture and other items are provided: single extra-long twin bed (height adjustable and can be lofted), desk and chair, wardrobe, dresser, trash can, window blinds or curtains, permanent light fixture above the desk or on the ceiling.
Reminder: Don't over pack!
There are no storage rooms available to store items throughout the year, so everything brought must fit in the room. If you forget something, you can always buy it once you arrive or order it online.
- Alarm clock
- Bedding: Blanket, comforter, linens (extra long twin), mattress pad and cover, pillows
- All-purpose wardrobe (weather in Gambier ranges from hot to cold):
- T-shirts, tops, jeans, casual clothes
- Sweatshirts/pullovers are useful in the fall and the transition to spring.
- Hangers and other clothes storage
- Winter supplies: Heavy winter coat, gloves, scarves, hats
- Rain supplies: Rain coat, rain boots, umbrella
- Shoes (prepare for all seasons and terrains — Middle Path can get muddy!): Athletic shoes, comfy walking shoes, dress shoes, snow boots, etc.
- First-aid kit: Bandages, antiseptic cream, ibuprofen, prescription medications, etc.
- Surge protector (not just an electrical or power strip)
- Bathroom supplies: Toiletries, shower caddy, towels, washcloths, shower shoes, glasses/contacts
- Laundry supplies: Bag or basket, detergent, dryer sheets, quarters (machines take K-Cards and quarters: $2.25 for washer, $1.50 for dryer)
Things you probably should bring
- Cleaning supplies: Cleaning agents or wipes, freshener sprays, paper towels
- Desk/office supplies:
- Planner and/or desk calendar
- Bulletin board, dry-erase or memo board (used on your door), thumbtacks
- Stapler, tape, markers, pencils, pens, glue, sticky tack, etc.
- Desk/reading lamp (non-halogen)
- Snack supplies:
- Dishes, can opener, flatware, water bottle, mug/travel mug, dish detergent, sponge
- Snacks (i.e. granola bars, oatmeal, popcorn, dried fruits, chips, etc.)
- Computer equipment: Computer, software, surge protector, charger
- Clothes for special occasions: Semi-formal and formal for special occasions or dances and a swimsuit
- Information received from Kenyon (brochures, forms, etc.)
- Useful small things:
- Key chain/lanyard (for room key and K-Card), ear plugs, small tool kit, sewing kit and scissors
- Cell phone, charger, external hard drive, flash drive, chargers, etc.
- Useful room additions:
- Small electric fan (Lewis, Norton and Gund are NOT air-conditioned)
- Clothes-drying rack
- Iron (if you have clothes that wrinkle easily)
- Storage: Under-the-bed storage containers, stacking crates
Optional/fun things to consider bringing
- Outdoor equipment:
- Game equipment: frisbees, tennis/squash/racquet ball racquets, etc.
- Bicycle, helmet and U Bolt Lock (many students bike to class or along the Gap Trail; be sure to register your bike with Campus Safety upon arrival)
- Decorations (note that there are some restrictions on hanging items):
- Pictures, posters or tapestries (that can be easily hung with gentle tape or 3M adhesives that will not damage the walls)
- Command hooks or strips
- Fun clothes for themed events (Halloween, other themed parties, etc.)
- Board games, gaming systems, cards, etc.
Items you could share with your roommate(s)
- Microwave: Available at a local store or for rent with a microfridge unit
- Refrigerator: No larger than 4.8 cubic feet. You can purchase one from a local store (Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc.) or rent one (www.bedloft.com)
- Rug (check your room dimensions)
- Printer (many students opt for a printer in their rooms; however, printing is free across campus)
- Small vacuum or a broom (check if your room is carpeted)
- Air conditioners or other large appliances that draw 110 volts or more
- Candles, incense, fireworks
- Refrigerators larger than 4.8 cubic feet
- Hot plate, toaster, toaster oven, George Foreman grill, sandwich maker or other appliance with an open coil or burner
- Non-approved animals (other than fish in a tank of ten gallons or less)
- Firearms (including air guns), weapons, knives
- Halogen lamps
- Propane tanks