Kenyon uses the Events Management System (EMS) in order to make the process of requesting spaces and confirming reservations for events easier and more efficient. For the purposes of this policy, an event is defined as an in-person or hybrid assembly, including but not limited to formal celebrations, conferences, meetings, performances (concerts, plays, rehearsals, readings, etc.), presentations (lectures, panels, etc.), screenings, and workshops.* Events can only be held in spaces that are available to reserve on EMS — this includes lawns, parking lots, and Middle Path. Confirmed space reservations are mandatory for all events. To help prevent conflicts and avoid last minute location changes/event cancellations, please do not promote your event until your space request has been officially confirmed via email.

 The Office of Campus Events is responsible for the following policies and oversees space programming in the best interest of the College and campus community.

 *Protests are not defined as events and are subject to the Policies on Protests and Demonstrations found in the Staff Handbook and the Student Handbook.

Jump to a section:

Campus Spaces Defined

All public spaces are managed through EMS.

  • Auto-Confirmed Spaces: Requests are confirmed as reservations automatically in these rooms, provided there are no services attached (see Services section). Requests with services will be marked as “space confirmed, pending services” until the services have been approved.
  • Space Manager-Approved Spaces: Many rooms on campus have special circumstances (e.g., sensitive equipment, sets/staging, student priority, etc.) and require approval by a “space manager” who is well-versed in the specifics of that room. Requests will not be confirmed as reservations until the space manager has approved use of the space for the requested time period.

Please note: Certain spaces are viewable in EMS but are not reserveable.

Reservations will be confirmed whenever possible within two business days of the request. 

Clients Defined

Public spaces may be reserved by both internal and external clients.

  • Current faculty and staff may request space for college business as internal clients without incurring a facilities fee. When requesting space for non-college business, they are considered external clients and will be charged at discounted rates.
  • Current students who are authorized members of an officially recognized student organization that is in good standing may request space on behalf of that organization, through the Office of Student Engagement, as internal clients without incurring a facilities fee. Current students reserving space as individuals may only request Chalmers Library study spaces. (Please see How do I reserve library study rooms page to learn more.)
  • External clients are those requesting space for non-college business, regardless of their affiliation with Kenyon. External clients may request space(s) by contacting the Office of Campus Events ( (Please see the Summer Programs and External Clients page to learn more.)

Space Requests

All space requests must be submitted through EMS. A request is not considered a confirmed reservation until an official confirmation email has been received. Rooms are reserved on a “as-is” basis; custom set-ups — when available — require services (see Services section).

  • All requests must be titled clearly to state the intended purpose of the event and include all co-sponsors; misrepresentation may result in the cancellation of the event and loss of access to reservation privileges.
  • If an event requires set-up and tear-down, please include extra time in the request, or contact the Office of Campus Events to have it added to the reservation.
  • All requests must follow booking requirements. This includes but is not limited to, building hours, use restrictions, maximum room capacities, fire codes, etc.
  • All facilities are reserved with their default set-ups unless otherwise requested. Please contact the Office of Campus Events ( if your space was not set properly upon arrival. If you did not request a special set-up, please return the space to the default set-up and remove any items that you brought (e.g., signage, decorations, printed materials, etc.) when you are done. If spaces are not reset/cleared properly, the reservation holder will be charged $30 per hour for the labor required to do so.

Reservation Types

There are two request templates available in EMS.

  • Current Faculty/Staff Request (with services): Please use this template for events requiring services such as extra furniture (e.g., tables, chairs, garbage cans, etc.), audio-visual support, catering, etc. (see Services section).
  • Current Faculty/Staff Request (without services): Please use this template for events that do not require services.
  • Authorized Students Request: Please see the templates above. Students reserving non-library study space must adhere to the Authorized Student Reservation Guidelines.


Events sometimes require special room set-ups and/or other services such as audio-visual equipment or catering. These services should be requested when the space request is initiated in EMS. Service providers will automatically be notified of requests and will accept or deny the request based on availability/capacity.

  • Internal clients may choose to bring in outside vendors for catering across campus, including in Peirce Lounge and Peirce Pub; however, AVI has exclusive catering rights in all other areas of Peirce Hall. When requesting the Fischman Lobby, located in the Gund Gallery, please contact the Gund Gallery administrative assistant, as additional information will be required before approval is granted.
  • Internal clients are prohibited from utilizing outside vendors for maintenance, technical, or security services without prior approval from the Office of Campus Events.
  • External clients are prohibited from utilizing outside vendors for maintenance, technical, or security support unless those services are defined in their contracts.

Service Request Deadlines

Service requests for events taking place Monday-Friday during or after business hours require a minimum of five (5) business days advanced notice. For events taking place during a weekend, a minimum of ten (10) business days advanced notice is required.

Other Considerations

Academic classes take precedence over all other events and can bump events that have already been confirmed. The Office of Campus Events can assist with finding alternative spaces when this occurs.

  • Campus ceremonies, presidential events, and major campus programs (e.g., Reunion, etc.) cannot be scheduled against.
  • Any reservation request may be denied with reasons offered upon request.
  • External clients are only allowed to reserve spaces when classes are not in session (i.e., over breaks and during the summer) with the exceptions of the Brown Family Environmental Center, the Church of the Holy Spirit and the Lowry Center, which are available throughout the year. External clients will be required to sign a contract with the College and provide certificates of insurance as outlined in that contract.

For assistance with space requests, please contact the Office of Campus Events at or 740-427-5765.

Updated: Dec. 20, 2023