The grounds and 11 miles of trails at the BFEC are open to the public seven days a week during daylight hours.
We encourage you to consider a stroll on one of our trails. It is not only safe to go outside during the pandemic, but it is great for your mental, emotional and physical health.
Trail maps are available at each trail head. Please practice social distancing if you see others enjoying the outdoors.
Things To Do
Not all learning takes place with a class or in a classroom. At the BFEC we encourage independent exploration, recreation and relaxation. Visitors are welcome to:
- Wander the wildlife garden, observing birds and butterflies. Or sit and relax to the peaceful burble of our water features and the buzzing of the bees.
- Hike or jog our trails (view trail maps).
- Make discoveries of your own! Follow one of our self-guided tours.
- BFEC is open for day use only, dawn to dusk.
- If you pack it in, pack it out. Please don't leave anything behind.
- Do not pick, harvest or remove plants or animals.
- Dogs must be leashed at all times.
- Use designated trails only; refrain from off-trail hiking.
- Trails are for hiking only. Bikes, horses and motorized vehicles are prohibited.
- No sledding.
- Please do not disturb scientific equipment, flagging or experiments.
- Fires in designated fire pit are by reservation only.
- No firearms, fireworks, or alcoholic beverages.
- No hunting.
The BFEC offers regular programs that are usually free and open to the public, on topics such as wildflowers, nature art and so much more. Enjoy hayrides at our annual Fall Harvest Festival, admire local nature featured in our Knox County Nature Photography Contest or "meet" wild animals at our Earth Day Festival.
Weddings, Retreats & Meetings: Reserve the grounds and facilities
The BFEC accepts reservations for indoor and outdoor spaces. Community groups and private events are charged a nominal fee depending on the specifics of the request. Kenyon classes, student groups and retreats can request spaces free of charge. To inquire about available spaces or rates, or to make a reservation, please contact Jill Kerkhoff at email@example.com or 740-427-5050.
The BFEC Resource Center is located at 9781 Laymon Road, Gambier, Ohio. To reach us from the east or west, take State Route 229 towards Gambier. Turn onto Laymon Road directly across from Route 308 and the main Kenyon College entrance. Cross the river, go around the first bend, and look for our sign on the right.