Steps to Voting
Whether you are voting in Ohio or another state, here’s the information you need.
1.Register to vote on time.
2.Check your registration.
3.Know the ways to vote and the deadlines.
Knox County Voter Guide
The CSAD Student Associates have created a nonpartisan guide to issues and candidates for the November 2022 elections in Knox County.
How to Register
- Registration form and instructions.
- Ohio’s registration deadline is Oct. 11, 2022. Deadlines in other states vary.
- View registration and voting forms for all 50 states.
- Avoid common errors. Ohio voters: Check a sample voter application and be sure to use the correct street address for your Kenyon residence.
- Watch for registration tables in Peirce and on Middle Path through September.
Check Your Registration
- Verify that your registration has been received. Usually, you can do this from your state’s Secretary of State’s website. Ohio voters can check registrations here. Do this before your state’s registration deadline (in Ohio, check by Oct. 11, 2022).
Know your options and deadlines.
Check out Ohio’s voting schedule. Ohio voters have three options.
Ohio Option 1: Early Voting in Person
- Early voting begins Oct. 12, 2022, and ends at 2 p.m. on Nov. 7, 2022. Check the schedule for days and hours.
- Where: Knox County Board of Elections in Mount Vernon (104 E. Sugar St.).
- What to Bring: If you have a state of Ohio driver's license or ID, bring it. If not, you will need to know your social security number.
- Transportation: The KAT Shuttle stops a short distance from the Board of Elections at 104 East Sugar Street in Mount Vernon.
Ohio Option 2: Early Voting By Mail (Absentee Voting)
- Ohio does not automatically send you a mail ballot; you must request a ballot.
- Mail your absentee ballot request form to your local board of elections. For Gambier voters that is the Knox County Board of Elections, 104 East Sugar St., Mount Vernon, OH 43050. Submit your request at least a week before the election.
- Your completed ballot must be postmarked by Monday, Nov. 7, 2022, or hand delivered by 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 8, 2022.
- Mail or deliver your ballot to Knox County Board of Elections, 104 East Sugar St., Mount Vernon, OH 43050.
- If you request an absentee ballot but do not return it to the Board of Elections, you may go to the polls on election day, where they will offer you a provisional ballot.
Ohio Option 3: In-Person on Election Day
- Polls are open from 6:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Gambier Community Center, 115 Meadow Lane.
- View voter ID requirements in Ohio. Kenyon students receive an email in October that serves as a utility bill documenting their current street address.
- Can I vote in Gambier? Yes. College students in the U.S. can lawfully register to vote in the place where they live while studying. It is, of course, illegal to vote in two places. Learn more from the Ohio Secretary of State.
- Can I be registered in two places at once? No. If you move within Ohio, then changing your voting address to Gambier will cancel your voting registration at your parent's house in another part of this state. If you had registered previously in another state, then the old registration will not cancel automatically when you register in Ohio. Cancelling an old registration is simple. Find your state's cancellation process.
- Don’t miss out on programs from Kenyon’s Center for the Study of American Democracy.
- Download the Knox County Voter Information Guide.
- Become a poll worker — It’s a paid position, and you must be registered to vote in Knox County.