The Mitchell Scholarship is a national competitive fellowship sponsored by the US-Ireland Alliance. Named in honor of the former U.S. Senator's pivotal contribution to the Northern Ireland peace process, the Mitchell is designed to introduce and connect upcoming generations of future American leaders to the island of Ireland, while recognizing and fostering intellectual achievement, outstanding leadership, and a commitment to community and public service.
Up to twelve Mitchell Scholars between the ages of 18 and 30 are chosen annually for one year of postgraduate study in any discipline offered by institutions of higher learning in Ireland and Northern Ireland. The Mitchell Scholarship provides tuition, housing, a living expenses stipend and an international travel stipend.
Internal: Second Wednesday in August
External: Late September
Here's the link to view this year's specific deadline dates.
- An applicant must be a U.S. citizen;
- An applicant must be between 18 and 30 years old on 1 October in the year in which you are applying;
- Have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university before beginning study as a Mitchell Scholar. Degrees from international accredited universities are acceptable, if all other conditions are met.
The application is available at us-irelandalliance.org and consists of:
- A personal statement (1,000 words maximum). The personal statement is your opportunity to address your goals, your interests, and why studying in Ireland and/or Northern Ireland with a Mitchell Scholarship makes sense for your future;
- Information about awards, achievement, community service;
- University choices and field of study options in Ireland;
- Four letters of recommendation (at least two of the four letters must come from persons with whom the candidate has done academic work at college or university);
- Proof of U.S. citizenship (passport/birth certificate);
- Academic transcripts;
- Contact information for institutional endorser and four recommenders;
- A scan of your signature and a passport style photo;
- A video interview soon after the application is submitted and certified as complete.
Learn more about The George J. Mitchell Scholarship at us-irelandalliance.org, by visiting the Office of National Fellowships & Scholarships, or by contacting the faculty liaison.