Group advising during Orientation is a great opportunity for you, your faculty partner, and your Orientation Leader to help your new advisees get settled into life at Kenyon.
The First-year Experience office has scheduled two sessions for Group Advising Meetings on Sunday, August 22, 2021. The first session will run from 2 - 3:30 p.m. and the second session from 4 - 5:30 p.m. Please coordinate with your advising partner to hold your group meetings at separate times if you don't plan to host a single meeting for both groups.
2 - 3:30 p.m. Group A Faculty Advising
2 - 3:30 p.m. Group B Life on the Hill
4 - 5:30 p.m. Group A Life on the Hill
4 - 5:30 p.m. Group B Faculty Advising
While there's a lot that you could cover in this session, remember that you'll have plenty of opportunities to continue building upon the foundation established already.
Key topics to cover in group advising are:
- The value of a liberal arts education
- The value of exploration and flexibility
- The role of advising (you as their advisor, the Advising Office, other faculty and staff resources)
- The likelihood of struggle and the power of asking for help
- The importance of writing their own unique Kenyon story
- Review First Steps: A Guide to Building Your First Schedule and navigating next steps as necessary
NOTE: Encourage your advisees to take placement exams and attend the department presentations.
There's plenty of information to help you support your students as they navigate their first year at Kenyon including our First-Year Students page with helpful links for registration from the Office of the Registrar.