5.5 Moving Allocation
(revised July 1998, September 2011, Jan 2019, July 2019)
Kenyon College will make a moving allowance payment to eligible new faculty and full-time exempt staff, provided they are relocating from outside of Knox County, Ohio.
- The College moving allowance is solely based on the mileage moved (it is not a reimbursement of expenses such as truck rentals, trailer rentals or gas). The moving allowance is $2.00 per mile moved, with a minimum allowance payment of $1,000 and a maximum allowance payment (not to exceed) $4,000.
- On occasion, the College may recruit and hire two persons from the same family. In this circumstance, only one moving expense reimbursement is permitted.
- Beginning January 1, 2018, the IRS requires that all moving allocation payments be reported on the employee's W-2 Form as taxable income. The College is required to withhold all appropriate payroll taxes, including FICA, on all amounts reimbursed for moving expenses.
- The moving allowance payment will be made after the employee relocates to their new home and provides Kenyon with proof of mileage moved. The employee should also keep a set of the records as documentation for his/her federal tax return.
- Moving allocation requests are to be made no later than one year after the original hire date.