Group advising during Orientation is a great opportunity for you, your faculty partner, and your Orientation Leader to help your new advisees get settled into life at Kenyon.
While there's a lot that you could cover in that first session together, remember that you'll have plenty of opportunities to continue building upon the foundation established that first week.
Key topics to cover in group advising are:
- The value of a liberal arts education
- The value of exploration and flexibility
- The role of advising (you as their advisor, the Advising Office, other faculty and staff resources)
- The likelihood of struggle and the power of asking for help
- The importance of writing their own unique Kenyon story
- Navigating the First Steps of their first schedule
NOTE: Don't forget to mention placement exams and department presentations!
There's plenty of information to help you support your students as they navigate their first year at Kenyon, especially in terms of seeking out appropriate resources.