a. Regular meetings shall typically be held weekly during the academic year. The President and the Director of Operations shall prepare an agenda for all meetings of the Student Council, which shall be available to the entire student body twenty-four (24) hours before the meeting will be called to order.
b. Any Kenyon student may attend any meeting of the Student Council and shall have the ability to propose legislation. Only Student Council officers may make motions from the floor and vote on motions considered.
Section 2: Special Meetings
a. Special meetings may be called by the President with the simple majority approval of the Executive Committee. Forty-eight (48) hours notice must be given to all officers and advisor of special meeting time and location.
Section 3: Executive Committee Meetings
a. Executive committee meetings shall be called by the Student Council President
b. Executive Committee members shall be given a forty-eight (48) hour notice before any meeting
Section 4: Quorum
a. The quorum required for the Student Council to conduct business shall be a simple majority of voting members.
Section 4: Parliamentary Authority
a. Robert’s Rules of Order shall guide this council in all cases to which they are applicable and in which they are not inconsistent with these bylaws. The Council shall loosely follow Robert’s Rules of Order unless a two-thirds majority vote of present, voting members determines that Robert’s Rules of Order should be strictly observed.
Section 5: Attendance
a. Meeting attendance shall be mandatory and recorded by the Director of Operations
b. General meetings
i. All Student Council general meetings are mandatory for officers.
ii. Officers are permitted a total of two (2) excused absences per semester.
1. Excused absences are in the case of medical emergencies, official College academic exercises.
2. The Director of Operations, with consultation of the Student Council advisor, will make the decision as to whether an absence is excused or unexcused. The Executive Committee may be utilized in this decision making process if the Director of Operations and the advisor choose.
3. Additional types and number of absences may be permitted by the Executive Committee in the case of special circumstances.
4. Upon reaching the maximum allotted excused absences, a warning letter shall be issued and the officer will be required to meet with the Student Council advisor to discuss their commitment to Student Council.
5. The Director of Operations will initiate the officer’s removal from office process if the allotment excused absences is exceeded.
iii. Officers are permitted two (2) unexcused absence.
1. Absences typically considered excused may be classified as unexcused if not reported at least twenty four (24) hours prior to scheduled meeting unless prior notice is not possible.
2. Upon reaching the maximum allotted unexcused absences, a warning letter shall be issued and the officer will be required to meet with the Student Council advisor to discuss their commitment to Student Council.
3. The Director of Operations will initiate the officer’s removal from office process if the allotment unexcused absences is exceeded.
iv. All absences must be given to the Director of Operations or the presiding chair and/or the Advisor at least 24 hours prior to any scheduled meeting.
v. If an officer is unable to attend a meeting, it is their responsibility to obtain the minutes of the meeting and other related materials.
c. Executive Committee Meetings
i. The Executive Board meetings should occur at least once a month but may occur more frequently.
ii. Guests may be permitted in the Executive Board meetings at the discretion of the Executive Board and/or when deemed necessary.
iii. The Executive Board shall be governed by these same attendance provisions of general meetings.
iv. If an officer is unable to attend a meeting, it is their responsibility to obtain the minutes of the meeting and other related materials.