Requirements for the Major
English majors are required to complete a total of eleven courses offered or approved by the department. English Majors are required:
- To pass the Senior Exercise
- To take at least 1 unit in each of the following historical periods: Pre-1700, 1700-1900, Post-1900
- To take .5 unit in courses at the 100 level
- To take .5 unit in courses designated "Approaches to Literary Study." Courses in this category include ENGL 210, 211, 215, 216, 219, 310, 311, 312, 322, 327, 329-330, 364, 497. These courses will be designated as meeting the "Approaches to Literary Study" requirement at the ends of the course descriptions. The .5 unit of coursework in "Approaches to Literary Study" may not also count toward the historical distribution requirement.
- To select at least three additional courses from among any of the department's offerings above the 100-level. Based on the individual curricular choices they have made within the major, students may propose that a maximum of .5 unit of literature courses taken in a department other than the English department be counted toward their major. Students will need to present solid arguments about how and why such courses are integrated with the English major.