Requirements for a Major with an Emphasis in Creative Writing
Students wishing to major in English with an emphasis in creative writing are required to complete the following:
- To meet all requirements for the regular English major.
- To take as two of the eleven half-units of course credit before the spring semester of their senior year:
- One section of ENGL 200 (Introduction to Writing Fiction), ENGL 201 (Introduction to Writing Poetry) or ENGL 202 (Creative Non-fiction)
- One section of ENGL 300 (Advanced Fiction-Writing) or ENGL 301 (Advanced Poetry-Writing)
- To complete significant creative work in fulfillment of the Senior Exercise or for their honors project. Qualified seniors who have taken both introductory and advanced creative writing workshops may, with faculty approval, pursue an Individual Study in creative writing (ENGL493); this course is not available to students who have not taken both workshops. Students who are unable to take the advanced creative writing workshops may petition the Department of English to count two introductory workshops in a single genre as fulfillment of the requirements for the Emphasis in Creative Writing, as long as these workshops have been taken with different instructors.
ENGL 200, 201, 202, 300, and 301 (Creative Writing)
Admission to all creative writing courses, introductory and advanced, is based on the submission of a writing sample and permission of the instructor. ENGL 200 or 202 is a prerequisite for ENGL 300; ENGL 201 is a prerequisite for ENGL 301. Creative writing courses are not open to first-year students but they are open to nonmajors. For specific course offerings, sample requirements, and submission deadlines, check with the English department administrative assistant.