Presidential SearchGAMBIER, Ohio (September 4, 2012)
Barry F. Schwartz '70, chair of the Kenyon College Board of Trustees, today announced the membership of the search committee charged with selecting Kenyon's 19th president. The new president will succeed S. Georgia Nugent, who announced she will step down at the conclusion of her tenth year as Kenyon's president, on June 30, 2013.
The committee includes representatives from alumni, the board of trustees, faculty, staff, and students, and the selection process followed the protocol of recent Kenyon presidential searches. Trustee Brackett B. Denniston '69 of Fairfield, Connecticut, secretary of the board of trustees and vice president and general counsel of General Electric Corporation, will serve as chair, assisted by trustee and committee vice-chair Aileen C. Hefferren '88 H'12 of New York City, chief executive of Prep for Prep.
"The appointment of a president is among the most important responsibilities of the board of trustees, continuing, in Kenyon's case, a tradition of leadership, courage, and dedication to the liberal arts evident in the heritage of our presidential leadership, including that of President Nugent," Schwartz said. "I am confident in the experience and judgment of trustees Brackett Denniston and Aileen Hefferren to lead this all-important effort that is essential to Kenyon's continued excellence."
The search committee also includes:
- From the board of trustees: Nina P. Freedman '77 H'92 of Mount Kisco, New York, consultant to the Mayor's Fund to Advance New York City; Mary Kay Karzas '76 of Culver, Indiana; Joseph E. Lipscomb '87 of Chevy Chase, Maryland, partner, Arborview Capital LLC; emeritus trustee William E. Lowry Jr. '56 H '99 of Chicago, special assistant to the president, Chicago Community Trust; Schwartz '70 of New York City, executive vice chairman and chief administrative officer, MacAndrews and Forbes Holdings, Inc.; David L. Trautman of Newark, Ohio, president, secretary, and director, Park National Bank.
- From the faculty: Sheryl Hemkin, associate professor of chemistry; Royal W. Rhodes, Donald L. Rogan Professor of Religious Studies.
- From the student body: Amy L. Schlessman '13 of Sandusky, Ohio; Michael A. Sharpe Jr. '13 of Fairburn, Georgia.
- From the administrative staff: Adrienne Amador '09, senior assistant director of admissions; Peter T. Smith, director of athletics, fitness and recreation.
- From the Alumni Council: Larae Bush Schraeder '97 of Columbus, Ohio, director of expense management, Nationwide Insurance, Alumni Council vice chair.
Joseph L. Klesner, associate provost and professor of political science, will be the on-campus coordinator of the search and the academic liaison.
In characterizing the committee's work, Denniston said, "Kenyon has a distinguished history of extraordinary leaders who have served Kenyon as president. I am honored to serve as chair of the search committee on this important mission to select a successor to Georgia Nugent as one of those extraordinary leaders and to be joined by a very able group of committee members with a love for Kenyon and Kenyon's future. We all look forward to working with, and hearing from, the Kenyon community in the coming months."
A search firm will be hired to assist in the presidential search, Denniston said. Dates for search committee meetings and on-campus public forums will be announced.