If you are taken hostage:
- Do not attempt to escape unless you are sure you can do so safely.
- Remain calm and be polite and cooperative. Speak normally and do not complain.
- Do not draw attention to yourself or make sudden movements.
- Observe the hostage-takers and try to memorize features or clothing that might help identify them.
- Try to establish a good relationship with the hostage-takers (to make them less likely to harm you).
- Try to stay low to the ground, behind cover, and away from windows.