1. If you smell smoke or see flames, pull the nearest fire alarm immediately.
2. Evacuate the building if:
- An uncontrolled fire of any kind exists.
- A fire alarm sounds.
- There is smoke or the strong smell of something burning.
- Surrounding materials become abnormally hot.
3. If there is smoke, crawl.
4. Feel doors before opening them. If the door or a metal knob is hot, do not open. If the knob is cool, brace yourself against the door, open it slightly, and if heat or heavy smoke are present, close the door and stay in the room.
5. If you get trapped, keep doors closed and place cloth material around and under door to prevent smoke from entering. Signal for help by hanging an object at the window to attract the attention of firefighters.
6. If you catch on fire, stop, drop, and roll to smother the flames.
7. Go to the nearest exit or stairway. If the nearest exit is blocked by fire, heat, or smoke, go to another exit.
8. Do not use elevators.
9. Activate the building fire alarm if it is not already sounding.
10. Do not re-enter the building until safety officers say it is safe to do so.
11. Notify Campus Safety at 427-5555, from a safe distance.