Kenyon is not near Anywhere...
Things to do in Knox County & Ohio
- There are plenty of activities around the county that cater to the seasons. Visit the Knox County Calendar to find out what you can do outside of Kenyon!
- If you need to get to Mount Vernon and you don't have a car, hop on the Mount Vernon Shuttle. It leaves from the alley beside the bookstore and makes hourly round trips on MWF 4-10 and Saturday 1-10.
- You're probably aware of the Kokosing Gap trail as it runs around campus. But did you know you can now rent a bike if you don't have one? Koko's Bike Rentals is located in Howard and can be reached by calling 740-272-2330. It's also right across the street from the Ice Cream Station, which serves Hershey's Ice Cream. If you veer off the trail and head out on Magers road, you can stop at the waterfall off the back of Apple Valley Dam. So get outta town and enjoy some scenery and a little snack. Here are some other rental options.
- Knox County's sense of preservation of natural resources is amazing. We have the greatest park district in Ohio, in my opinion. You can visit Mount Vernon "beach", check out Honey Run Waterfall, play with the puppies at Wolf Run, do some hiking at Hellbender Preserve, or do a little secluded fishing at Hope Access. Visit the Knox County Park District webpage and see all the opportunities to commune with nature.
- Want to go horseback riding? There are several bridle trails in the Knox County area. Visit horseback riding for details on Equestrian Valley.
- Get nostalgic and go to a Friday Night Football Game at Mount Vernon High School. A free shuttle is available to and from Mount Vernon, Fridays 4-10.
- Go Antiquing! Head to Farley & Moore's and search thorough 3 floors of unusual items from jewelry to board games, and quilts to baseball cards. You may find something that reminds you of home, or find something you want to send home as a birthday gift. Open 10-5 every day, and there's a few more shops within walking distance if you want to make a day of it. The Mount Vernon Shuttle runs to and from campus MWF 4-10 and Saturday 1-10.
Just want to stay on campus?
- Check out the BFEC for seasonal activities.
- The observatory is a great way to explore the universe from the comforts of your campus home.
- Take a look at the Campus Calendar to see what is coming up from Social Board and various Kenyon Departments.
- I can't hit a ball to save my life, but I sure like driving those little carts. If you like to golf, Tomahawk golf course is right in our back yard. Walk out the back of Quarry Chapel Road, or visit Tomahawk Hollow for a tee time. If you'd like more of a challenge check out some other area golf courses.
- If a golf course doesn't woo you, but you'd still like to do some putting around, check out Mohican for putt putt, and go-karting. You can even add on a river trip if you're interested and do an entire day of fun for only $31. Want a simpler mini golf course and a batting cage? Check out Mount Vernon Memorial Park across from the High School (open seasonally).
- Colonial City Lanes offers individual and group bowling, league bowling, and Night Bowling. Bring your own glow necklace and bowl in the dark. Call 392-2695 to reserve a lane.
- Do you skate? Or want to learn. Skateland Roller Rink will be happy to have you. Call 392-5201 if you need more info. They are located at 9 Pittsburg Avenue in Mount Vernon.
- Kenyon offers intramural and club sports that welcomes participation in everything from squash to board games.
Do you have a car?
- If you do, you're going to be quite popular. Here are some links to day trips you can take around Ohio.