Alcohol and Drugs in the News:
Tips and Not so Fun Facts:
Alcohol and Sexual Safety:
- 60% of Women with STD's were drinking alcohol when infected.
- Alcohol is involved in 2/3 of all date rape and sexual assault cases.
- 1 in 7 people aged 16-24 have had unprotected sex while drinking alcohol. 1 in 5 regret it; 1 in 10 don't even remember having sex.
- If excess alcohol reaches developing sperm, it can cause birth defects.
- Defective sperm can live in the body for up to 19 days.
Alcohol and Mental Health:
- 65% of suicides have been linked to excessive drinking
- 70% of men who kill themselves have drunk alcohol before committing the act.
- Excessive drinking disrupts normal sleeping patters resulting in insomnia, lack of REM sleep, increased stress, and anxiety.
- In 2002 31% of college students met criteria for a diagnosis of alcohol abuse, and 6% for a diagnosis of alcohol dependence.
Alcohol and Crime:
- 54% of all people convicted of violent crimes were under the influence of alcohol when committing the crime.
- 95% of all violent crime on college campuses involve the use of alcohol by the victim, the assailant, or both
- 90% of all campus acquaintance rapes involve the use of alcohol by the victim, the assailant, or both.
- In 2002 11% of college student drinkers reported that they damaged property while under the influence.