Independent Studies in Studio Art
The studio faculty do not recommend independent studies because we feel it is important for students to work in the context of other artists. Nonetheless we know that occasionally an independent study might be appropriate. They must be approved by the department according to the following guidelines:
- Independent Studies should be undertaken when a student has exhausted all the options for that media in the regular curriculum.
- The subject for an independent study must be in a discipline that the faculty member has expertise.
- An Independent Study does not count toward the requirements of the major, it is considered an extra course.
- An Independent Study should not overload the faculty member.
- When possible the student should connect with a class doing a similar media in the faculty member's field for feedback from other students (critiques).
- The responsibility for writing up a contract, maintaining a schedule and motivation belongs with the student, not the faculty member.