Duties of the IRB Chair
- Serve as convenor for the IRB. This includes scheduling reviews, certifying IRB actions, and certifying approval and disapproval of protocols.
- Serve as a reviewer and router for protocols that do not require Full Board review. (i.e. Exempt, Expedited)
- Serve as the focal point for interaction of the IRB with the college community.
- Oversee the development and execution of the educational efforts of the IRB on campus.
- Monitor changes in federal regulations and institutional policy for the protection of human subjects in research.
- Make sure that all IRB procedure is appropriately documented. This includes, but is not limited to, reporting of IRB actions to the Provost, liaison with the staff support, and liaison with faculty in general.
- Be familiar with (45 CFR 46) especially Common Rule (45 CFR 46.101 through 46.409).