REGARDLESS of funding agency requirements, the Kenyon IRB requires that ALL Kenyon researchers involved in "human subjects" research must complete the required learning modules from the on-line CITI Human Subjects Research Educational Program.
The IRB will not process an application until the CITI program has been completed by the P.I., Faculty Advisor, and Chair or Administrative Division Head. CITI will send the IRB Administrator notice of your completion. You should print out a copy of your completion certificate for your own files.
The CITI Human Subjects Research Educational Program consists of different courses:
- Students conducting no more than minimal risk research: This course is recommended for introductory level courses where students are introduced to basic research methodologies. For higher level courses take the Social & Behaioral Investigators or Biomedical Research Investigators course.
- Administrators and Staff: especially for research involving Kenyon Students as subjects. If your research is not for the college, choose a more appropriate group for your research.
- Social & Behavioral Research Investigators: Choose this group to satisfy requirements for investigators involved primarily in Social and Behavioral research with human subjects.
- Biomedical Research Investigators: Choose this group to satisfy requirements for investigators involved primarily in Biomedical research with human subjects.
- Research with data or laboratory specimens- ONLY: No direct contact with human subjects.
- IRB Members: This course is required for IRB members and IRB administrators.
- CAUTION: The Responsible Conduct of Research courses do not qualify for Human Subjects training. You may, however, wish to take one of these courses to get an overall view of responsible and ethical conduct of research. It includes information about plagiarism, data, mentoring, authoring, publishing, copyright, and other research issues. It may be required for some students working with faculty on government supported research. Ask your faculty member about the Responsible and Ethical conduct of research.
Once you have completed a course, you will be able to access and complete other modules that may be of interest. You may be asked to complete additional modules depending on subject populations or international research.
Kenyon College requires recertification every three(3) years. The CITI Refresher Course will satisfy the recertification requirement. CITI will email you notification when you need to recertify. If you are unsure when your certification is due to expire, please contact the IRB Administrator (740) 427-5748) or via email to email@example.com.
Be sure to register for the appropriate learning group. If you have a question about which group (see below) you should choose, call or email Jami Peelle 5748.
Registering for CITI course:
You are most likely the P.I. (Primary Investigator) unless you are registering as an IRB committee member.
You should register for the Learner Group most appropriate for your position and or type of research.
- Students should start with: Students conducting no more than minimal risk research. Students may be asked by the IRB to complete additional modules especially if they are dealing with special populations, working with institutions other than Kenyon, or doing research in an international setting. Students may choose additional modules once the required modules have been completed.
- Faculty should complete either Biomedical Research Investigators or Social & Behavioral Research Investigators . Once you have completed one of these, you may take any optional modules that you might be interested in. You will be ased to take a refresher course every three years.
- Administrators / Staff should complete the Administrators and Staff course unless they are doing research that does not involve the Kenyon community or Kenyon programs .
- IRB Board Members *MUST* complete the IRB Members Course even if they have previously completed another course. Credit will be given for the modules that overlap. You will be asked to complete a refresher course every three years.
Once the required modules have been completed, the grade book should be checked to ensure that all modules have been completed. Users should complete the confirmation form and submit. The Kenyon College IRB will receive from CITI electronic notification of completion; however, users should print and keep the completion report for their own records and just in case verification is needed. See CITI training information for complete instructions
All Kenyon College researchers, research advisors, department/program chairs, administrative department heads and IRB members must complete the appropriate modules. Chairs and Faculty Advisors who do not complete the course will impede the progress of their students' IRB reviews.