External Department Evaluations - Procedure Notes
Notes to Department Chairs:
- In the interest of impartiality, reviewers should not be Kenyon alums, friends, or collaborators with any members of the department.
- Associate Provost will need information regarding reviewers'qualifications (preferably a vita) before selection is made.
- Honorarium for reviewers $750 (travel, meals, lodging will also be reimbursed).
- Visit is ordinarily 2 ½ days.
- Social Security Number of evaluator is needed for payroll to issue check.
Responsibilities of Chairs:
- Arrange meals, lodging, travel to Gambier, itinerary, etc, and host evaluators while they are here.
- Set meeting dates with President, Provost and Associate Provost.
- Mail packet of materials to evaluators containing:
- mission statement,
- self-study, DOAP,
- department course offerings,
- c.v's of department members,
- recent patterns of enrollment, and
- a list of questions to which the department and College want the team to direct particular attention in advance of visit.
- Send copies of above packet and copies of examiners' c.v.'s to President, Provost, and Associate Provost prior to visit.
Dates to Remember:
- A list of potential evaluators and possible dates for the evaluation visit should be submitted to the Associate Provost at least 6 months prior to the visit.
- Meeting dates with President, Provost and Associate Provost should be reserved about 6 months prior to the visit.
- A packet of the above listed materials should be sent to President, Provost, Associate Provost and Evaluators at least 2 months prior to review.