Off the Hill, On the Job
GAMBIER, Ohio (August 8, 2006) When school starts, one of the first questions reunited friends will ask is "What did you do this summer?" For Kenyon students, whether their focus is bioengineering research, literacy initiatives, or social justice, they've been working to build a better world-and gaining valuable experience at the same time. Here's what just a few of them are doing this summer:
- Jenna Rose, Class of 2007, is studying microvascular bioengineering at the NSF-NIH Michael E. DeBakey Summer Research Training Program at Texas A&M University in College Station, Texas. Rose is a biochemistry major at Kenyon.
- Elizabeth Peckham, Class of 2008, is an intern with the U.S. House Subcommittee on International Terrorism and Nonproliferation. Peckham is majoring in history, with a minor in Italian.
- Margaret Willison, Class of 2007, is a literacy coordinator for a nonprofit, city-wide summer program in Boston called Tenacity. Willison is a double major in English and history.
- Brad Reynolds, Class of 2007, is an intern in Boston with the International Institution for Justice and Development, helping to coordinate the upcoming International Conference on the State of Affairs in Africa, in October, and to create a model for successful democracy through the Justice Project. Reynolds is a political science major and captain of the baseball team.
- Julia Wessel, Class of 2008, is an intern at the National Institute of Mental Health in Bethesda, Maryland. Wessel, who is majoring in psychology and minoring in anthropology at Kenyon, is working with a psychiatrist who does cognitive and behavioral research with bipolar children.
- Matthew Segal, Class of 2008, is serving as personal intern to Hilary O. Shelton, director of the NAACP, in Washington, D.C. Segal, with a double major in English and sociology, will work with Shelton through the end of first semester, in December.
- Jessie Wohlgemuth, Class of 2007, is an intern at Body & Soul magazine in Watertown, Massachusetts. Wohlgemuth is an English major with a minor in Italian.
- Chelsea Raflo, Class of 2008, is a media-relations intern at the Spoleto Festival USA in Charleston, South Carolina. Raflo is majoring in English and studio art.
- Rachel Dickson, Class of 2008, is teaching English in Bogotá, Colombia, for two months. Dickson is majoring in international studies and Spanish area studies.
- Ryan Fraelich, Class of 2007, is a lifeguard at Disney World, where he's also attending filmmaking classes taught by industry professionals. Fraelich, a senior with a double major in English and drama, with a focus on creative writing and film, found out about this opportunity to get his foot in the door at Disney by attending a meeting at Kenyon.
- Anna Anderson, Class of 2008, is an intern at the Council of Hemispheric Affairs, an organization that monitors U.S.-Latin American relations.