Kenyon College Concert Band Syllabus
Music 479: Kenyon College Concert Band
Prof. Dane Heuchemer, Director
|Waite Rehearsal Hall (Storer Hall)|
|740/392-7201 (to 10:00 p.m.)|
Ensemble Goals and Obligations
Goals of the Course
- To develop individual creative and interpretive skills.
- To develop teamwork skills and experience, through collaborative effort in ensemble and section settings.
- To encourage the development of leadership skills.
- To improve musical and technical skills through ensemble and sectional rehearsal and the individual practice of parts.
Expectations and Obligations of the Student
- Attendance at rehearsals, sectionals, and concerts-on time, ready to play at tuning time.
- Practice parts individually as needed, and particularly when requested to do so by the director.
- Work as a member of a team to produce a work: an interpretation of a musical composition, achieved through rehearsal and revealed in public performance.
- Be an active participant, mentally as well as physically, in each rehearsal and performance.
- Maintain a cooperative, collaborative attitude during all rehearsals.
- Mark parts in pencil according to the instructions of the director, section leader, etc.
- Keep equipment in playable condition, which includes having usable reeds, mouthpieces, etc., as well has having all necessary mutes, valve oil, pencils, etc.
- Notification of the director of any need to miss rehearsals prior to the time in question.
- Contribute to a fun, yet energetic working atmosphere.
Obligations of the Director
- Be present on time for rehearsals, prepared and ready to go.
- Develop and communicate a solid interpretation of each composition being rehearsed.
- To bring to each rehearsal a positive, collaborative frame of mind.
- Formulate effective rehearsal strategies to implement interpretation.
- To maintain accurate attendance records and complete all aspects of student evaluation in a fair, consistent, and open manner.
- Maintain a collaborative, energetic, yet enjoyable working atmosphere.
This ensemble meets on Thursdays from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m., in the Waite Rehearsal Room, Storer Hall. The first two hours will be dedicated to full rehearsal, while the time from 9:00 will be used for sectionals and chamber winds rehearsals. Please make every effort to be on time. Attendance will be taken and recorded. To be fully excused, students must be on the Excused Absence List. A tardy (arriving late to a rehearsal) is worth one-half an unexcused absence. Timely notification to the director of an expected absence is required. Attendance constitutes sixty percent of the final grade for this course.
Attendance Grade Determination, by Percentage
|One unexcused absence:||92|
|Two unexcused absences:||84|
|Three unexcused absences:||76|
|Four unexcused absences:||68|
|Five unexcused absences:||60|
|More than Five unexcused:||0|
Forty percent of the final grade is dependent on participation, divided into creative improvement, contribution of leadership, and ensemble attitude/cooperation.
A weekly rehearsal schedule will be posted on the Concert Band bulletin board. This schedule will also be sent via e-mail distribution list. E-mail will be used to communicate updates or changes in rehearsal schedules, general announcements, etc. Questions and comments may be submitted to the director via e-mail, and replies will be sent as soon as possible. Please check your e-mail frequently.
Music Sign-Out Policies
Failure to return assigned music as requested by the director will result in the student being obligated to replace their parts. Failure to comply may result in a lowered grade.
The concert dress for men will be black pants and shoes, with white dress shirt and black bowtie. For women, any combination of black and white (or all black), dress or slacks, with black shoes, is appropriate.
Each member is required to have a pencil instantly available in rehearsals. Failure to have a pencil handy may result in a participation grade penalty.
If you have a physical, psychological, medical, or learning disability that may impact your ability to carry out assigned course work, I urge you to contact the Office of Disability Services at 5453. The Coordinator of Disability Services, Erin Salva (email@example.com), will review your concerns and determine, with you, what accommodations are appropriate. All information and documentation of disability is confidential.
|October 26||Spring Break|
|November 9||Dress Rehearsal||Rosse Aud.|
|November 11||Concert Band Fall Semester Concert||Rosse Aud.|
|November 16||Recording Session||Rosse Aud.|
|November 18-26||Thanksgiving Break|
|November 30||Dress Rehearsal (Possible)||Waite|