It is important for the College to maintain the best possible relationship with the Village of Gambier and promote cooperation in all matters of mutual interest. It is especially important that students be aware of certain frequently-enforced village ordinances. These ordinances are designed for the protection of all members of the community. They include the following:
- Alcoholic beverages must not be displayed or consumed in public or in a motor vehicle. Any person under the age of twenty-one must not possess or consume alcoholic beverages.
- All bicycles must have, and riders must use, headlights, audible warning devices such as horns, and rear reflectors.
- All persons on roller skates or inline skates, or riding in any sled, toy vehicle, skateboard or similar device on private property, must obtain written consent of the owner of that property. (This does not apply to a person on property owned or rented by the person's spouse, parent or legal guardian.)
- All persons on roller skates or inline skates, or riding in any sled, toy vehicle, skateboard, or similar device must wear a helmet and wrist guards.
- All vehicles (including bicycles) must come to a full stop at stop intersections.
- Illegally-parked cars are towed and impounded at the owner's expense.
- Parking is prohibited within ten feet of an intersection or fire hydrant. Parking is also prohibited on sidewalks, crosswalks, and paths.
- Pedestrians should use sidewalks, paths, and crosswalks.
- Speed limits within the village:
- School zone: 20 mph
- Village streets: 25 mph
- State roads: 35 mph (where posted)
- U-turns are prohibited on all village streets.
- Vehicle parking restrictions are as posted. Most areas are limited to either one- or two-hour periods. Unposted areas are limited to ten continuous hours.
- Vehicles must be parked facing the direction of travel on that side of the street.