5.5 MOVING ALLOCATION
(revised July 1998, September 2011)
The following moving expense reimbursement may be offered to new faculty and full-time exempt administrative staff, provided they are relocating from outside of Knox County, Ohio.
- The greater of $750 or $1.25 per mile moved, not to exceed a total of $2,500. The College will pay the expense reimbursement when the employee relocates to his/her new home.
- On occasion the College may recruit and hire two persons from the same family. In this circumstance only one moving expense reimbursement is permitted.
- The IRS requires that all moving expense payments be reported on the employee's W-2 Form unless paid to a third party. Qualified moving expenses will be reported separately from gross income. Non-qualified moving expenses will be included as taxable income on the W-2 Form. However, some of these expenses may be deductible when filing a federal tax return (complete Form 3903, Moving Expenses).
- The College is required to withhold all appropriate payroll taxes, including FICA, on those amounts which the College believes will not be deductible. To comply with these requirements, the employee must submit a record, including receipts, of all moving expenses to the Accounting Office. The employee should also keep a set of the records as documentation for his/her federal tax return.
- Reimbursements for moving expenses must be requested no later than one year after the original hire date.