Distinguished Service Award
The Provost invites the faculty to nominate their colleagues for the Distinguished Service Award. This award is presented annually at the last faculty meeting of the year, affording an opportunity for public thanks and recognition. It also entails a small honorarium.
The Distinguished Service Award is given to a member of the faculty whose citizenship has been especially remarkable in the current academic year. It may recognize exemplary service in one major task or project, or award someone for having performed in multiple arenas of service simultaneously. Departmental leadership, committee leadership - whether of standing committees or special purpose ones such as search committees - grant writing for collegiate programs, public presentations in connection with campus events, and admissions recruiting are among the activities that might be recognized with this award, as well as public service or service in the community outside the College.
Nominations should be sent to the Associate Provost's office (email@example.com) by April 15 and need to include only one or two paragraphs explaining why the nominee deserves special recognition.Awardees:
- 2012-13 Sheryl Hemkin, Associate Professor of Chemistry
- 2011-12 Jeffrey Bowman, Professor of History, Chair of the Faculty
- 2010-11 Chris Gillen, Professor of Biology and Chair of the Natural Sciences Division
- 2009-10 Joe Klesner,Pam Camerra-Rowe,Roy Rhodes,Paul Gebhardt,Marta Sierra,Leo Riegert
- 2008-09 Howard L. Sacks, Professor of Sociology, Acting Provost
- 2007-08 Harry Itagaki, Professor of Biology
- 2006-07 James Carson, Associate Professor of English
- 2005-06 Royal Rhodes, Donald L. Rogan Professor of Religious Studies
- 2004-05 Kathryn Edwards, Professor of Biology
- 2003-04 Laurie Finke, Professor of Women's and Gender Studies