Resting in peace
The shaded, tranquil College cemetery is a good spot for a quiet talk or some alone time. Located between Storer and Horvitz halls, this corner acre of the campus holds the remains of Kenyon notables as well as students, alumni, and local residents, going back to the era of the College’s founding in the 1820s. Five Kenyon presidents are buried here, as are a number of Episcopal bishops. So is John Crowe Ransom, the poet, critic, and founding editor of the Kenyon Review. And so is James E. Michael, who established the College’s drama program and became a mentor to legendary actor-philanthropist Paul Newman ’49 when Newman was a student.
Cemetery factoid: In 1949, the Kenyon Collegian reported that during Prohibition, a crypt in the cemetery had been appropriated to hide a distillery.