Housing Selection Process for Spring Semester 2013
The information provided here outlines the process for housing selection for students returning to campus from Off Campus Study programs, officially being readmitted to the College, or new transfer students.
Click here to see the list of TENTATIVE available open spaces for spring semester.
Click here to see the list of students returning from OCS with proxy names.
- Students who are confirmed by the Center for Global Engagement to be gone for the spring semester, or by the Registrar as a December graduate, will receive an e-mail early in November to give them an opportunity to verify that they will be leaving for the spring semester and, therefore, their current room assignment will be vacated at the end of the fall semester.
Before December 3, all apartments will be given the opportunity to fill the open spaces in their area with students who are returning from OCS. Any vacancies will be available for general selection by those needing Spring semester assignments.
- Before December 3, Program Houses, Theme Housing, and Division Housing groups will be given the opportunity to fill the open spaces in their area with members of their group who are returning from OCS programs or who are currently on living campus.
- Any remaining open spaces in any area of campus will be filled first by students who are returning from OCS programs, then by students readmitted to the College and transfer students, and finally by any student who wants to simply change rooms. (See Order to Fill process below)
- Students may not promise any open spaces to other students - all open spaces will be offered in the Spring Housing Selection Process (except in specific cases, see Open Spaces below). The Office of Housing and Residential Life reserves the right to hold any room out of the Spring Housing Selection Process in order to use that room for assignments (i.e. housing accommodations, etc.)
- The (tentative) list of open spaces for spring semester and the students who will be returning to campus will be available from the link at the top of this page..
- For those without housing assignments, on Wednesday, December 5, 2012 beginning at 4:45 p.m., the Spring Housing Selection Process will begin. All students needing a housing assignment will be given a time slot during which they will come to the Office of Housing and Residential Life in Gund Commons to choose a space; proxies will be notified of the same information so they may select a space for the student for whom they are a proxy. Time slots will be offered in an effort to better control the process. (see Proxy below for more information)
ORDER TO FILL
- Program Houses, Theme Housing, Division Housing and apartment locations will be required to fill any current or potential open spaces with members of their group returning to campus or currently on campus. These potential spaces will be filled in accordance with all polices - maintaining the membership percentage, and filling the rooms in the correct order.
- Next priority for housing assignments will be given to the students who are currently participating in an OCS program. Their proxies will have the opportunity to select their housing assignment for the spring semester.
- Following the selection of housing by returning OCS students, students readmitted to the College and new transfer students will be contacted and offered a room assignment.
- Students currently on campus seeking to switch rooms for Spring semester will be able to request their new assignment in January, once everyone has come back to campus.
A student whose room (double/triple) will have one vacant space, or one/two vacant spaces in a triple, may select the roommate(s) to fill that space from a list of the students who are returning from an OCS program, being readmitted or transfer students (not by students who are currently living on campus). These students will be contacted via e-mail with a list of the returning students, so they can work out an appropriate room assignment.
Students who live in rooms (singles, doubles, and triples) which will become totally vacant for spring semester may NOT promise their room to other students (either those returning, or students currently on campus who are wishing to change rooms.) These rooms will be offered at the Spring Housing Selection Process.
A student who lives in a double in an apartment/suite may choose a roommate from the list of returning students to fill the double. The occupants of an apartment/suite with any completely open single/double will be able to select from the list of returning students who they would like to live in the apartment/suite.
If for any circumstance a student is unable or unwilling to fill their partially open space with someone from the OCS/transfer/readmit lists, the space will be entered into the Spring Housing Selection process. If the space is still not claimed after the process is completed, the Office of Housing and Residential Life will fill it.
Proxies will receive notice of this process via e-mail with the housing preference form included in the e-mail. The students that they are representing will also receive a copy of this e-mail notification.
Students serving as proxies will select the housing assignment for the student for whom they are designated proxy. If more than one student who needs to be housed wishes to live in a vacant room (e.g. if two student currently off-campus wish to live together in a vacated double), proxies for both students must be present to select that room. Both proxies may come to the office at the earliest assigned time between them.
In a situation where the assigned proxy is unable to be present at the assigned time slot, another student may act as proxy - as long as there is adequate documentation to confirm a change in proxy. This documentation needs to be in writing and signed, or from a Kenyon e-mail account giving explicit permission for another student to act as proxy for the proxy. Click here to access the proxy form for the housing selection process.
The proxy should not plan to 'partially-fill' a completely open space. Two students must be signed into a completely open double. Three students must be signed into a completely open triple room.
HOUSING ACCOMMODATION HOUSING
Click here to access the housing accommodation information and application. The complete application and all documentation will be due by November, 14, 2012.